Randi Rhodes Forums

Welcome to the Randi Rhodes Message Boards.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you experience difficulties logging in, (i.e. Incorrect Password) please click the forgot password link on the login error screen to have a new password sent to you. If all else fails, register again.

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

[ 4 posts ] 

17-Year-Old Wins Science Competition With A Cure For Cancer

Post subject: 17-Year-Old Wins Science Competition With A Cure For Cancer

:shock:
A Kardashian gets a zit and we know it in real time, but this I didn't hear squat about and it's a month later?

Quote:
WASHINGTON — A high school
student from California won a $100,000 scholarship Monday for research that created a tiny particle she likened to a "Swiss army knife of cancer treatments" because of its precision in targeting cancer tumors.
Angela Zhang, 17, of Cupertino,
Calif., won top individual honors at the Siemens Foundation's annual high school science competition, which announced winners in Washington.
http://online.wsj.com/article/AP27e6b4f ... 7d5f4.html

She got interested in cancer treatment a couple years ago and just up and decided to start reading medical papers and see if she could figure it out. By her junior year she had convinced a Stanford lab to allow her access to run her own experiments. The idea is basically to attach a cancer medicine packet to a particle that seeks out the cancer cells specifically (a bit over my head, but not just a theory - based on proven science and tested in animals as effective already). The then attach to the cancer cell and by stimulation of an infrared light the medicine is released.

She should be making millions while pro ball players get the measly $100,000 check. At 17 I couldn't get my '66 Mustang to run right.

(Credit also to CBS Sunday Morning for running this story.)

Post subject: Re: 17-Year-Old Wins Science Competition With A Cure For Can

this is amazing stuff, now i havent read the article yet, will later, but for gods sake keep her and her discovery away from Pfizer and the like, or we will never see this or if we do it will cost us a fortune...

I never thought I would see the day the Republican Party would side with the
KGB over the USA...

yea thats great

-President Barack Obama

Give her another ten years and maybe she'll find a cure for conservatism. :)

[ 4 posts ]