Randi Rhodes Forums

Welcome to the Randi Rhodes Message Boards.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you experience difficulties logging in, (i.e. Incorrect Password) please click the forgot password link on the login error screen to have a new password sent to you. If all else fails, register again.

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

[ 3 posts ] 

A Gay man's tribute to his father and the love of soldiers

Post subject: A Gay man's tribute to his father and the love of soldiers

http://open.salon.com/blog/spiritmansf/ ... f_soldiers

Post subject: Re: A Gay man's tribute to his father and the love of soldie

I'm making my way home and am too distracted to read all of this right now. But this impressed me a great deal:
Quote:
I was able to anesthetize my emotional pain and fear by convincing myself I was the expert everyone else believed I was. But I wasn’t really an expert on death. I was more of an expert in allowing what was meant to happen to take its natural course. I was the expert in standing out of the way of the inevitable. I was the expert in being patient enough to allow that extra moment for rational thought to appear in the face of desperation. I knew the great secret about traumatic shock. It provides enough adrenaline to keep one going. It relinquishes the need for sleep and three balanced meals each day. It allows one to cancel all the normal requirements of survival until the job is done. I learned these facts in San Francisco in the 1980s.

Post subject: Re: A Gay man's tribute to his father and the love of soldie

I'm making my way home and am too distracted to read all of this right now. But this impressed me a great deal:
Quote:
I was able to anesthetize my emotional pain and fear by convincing myself I was the expert everyone else believed I was. But I wasn’t really an expert on death. I was more of an expert in allowing what was meant to happen to take its natural course. I was the expert in standing out of the way of the inevitable. I was the expert in being patient enough to allow that extra moment for rational thought to appear in the face of desperation. I knew the great secret about traumatic shock. It provides enough adrenaline to keep one going. It relinquishes the need for sleep and three balanced meals each day. It allows one to cancel all the normal requirements of survival until the job is done. I learned these facts in San Francisco in the 1980s.

Thanks. I was listening to Randi this afternoon and thought this was relevant.

[ 3 posts ]